Tuesday 23 February 2010

Adventures in Birmingham!

Last Tuesday we decided to venture into Birmingham. Me, Rachel & Vanessa went to The Barber Institute of Fine Art, The Waterhall Gallery & The IKON.
It turned out to be a really valuable day for us all! From talking to Rach and Vanessa, I especially began to understand the concept of Surrealism and could engage with Rene Magrite's work in the Barber with much more clarity and a clearer contextual understanding.
The Bridget Riley exhibition was also amazing! I really like the way that she has chosen to include her sketches, calulations, and colour palettes alongside her final outcomes. Looking and interacting with these really allowed me to gain an idea of the processes that Riley has undergone within her practice and how these systems have informed and developed her work.
Having never vistied the Barber before, I had preconcieved that it would be full of work that I wouldn't like and wouldn't be able to engage with i.e. 'pretty paintings'. However I was proven wrong as I was able to look beyond the aesthetics and attempted to engage with the artwork's stories and intentions. Maybe this is something I need to do more often and go back to BMAG with a fresh perspective.
The piece of the day for me was a video in the Clare Rojas exhibition at The IKON. I really like the way that the animation has been created and portrayed a sense of irony within the celebrity world and associated lifestlye, and the juxtaposition of this against themes, scences and images from everyday life.


'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL5cQmi9iHU

No comments:

Post a Comment