Thursday 15 October 2009

Banksy...Bristol...Brilliant!

On the 22nd June 2009, the three arty fartys (Jaz, Rachel, and Amy) went to Bristol to go and see the Banksy exhibition.
To be standing in front of Banky's work in an actual art gallery was a surreal experience. Before seeing Banky's work in the flesh, I didn't really know too much about him. I knew he was a graffiti artist, and well known for his art across the world, and that was about it.
I really like the way that Banksy pushes boundaries with some controversial pieces in an ironic and mocking way. As the viewer of his work, I found myself actually thinking about being in the situations Banksy had installed in front of us and what I would do.
To sum up, I found Banksy's work to be very thought provoking and engaging in the context of past, current, and future global dimensional issues, especially when we consider art as a form of expression in relation to these.Banksy has literally taken over the whole gallery and museum building. We found ourselves playing the 'Where's Banksy game' as we eagerly looked for his work across the permenant collections of the gallery. My fellow arty fartys are amazing! As a result of visiting this exhibition, we had many deep and meaningful conversations about the underpinning beliefs and aesthetics behind art, and how and why it is percieved in the way that it is.

The ice cream van which was used as the gallery information point. Genius.

I really like the irony in this piece.

Is it?

Is this what we have done to Tweety by keeping him locked up?


Is this how it should have been?

Can you see? i Can.







Real or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment